firefox insists on evolution, not kmail

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Wed Oct 6 12:23:39 UTC 2004

On October 6, 2004 7:08 am, Craig wrote:
> Sorry that I can't support your claims, but I can use whatever email I
> want. The catch? You've got to make the selection in Gnome's Preferred
> Applications app (menu>preferences>preferred applications). It works for
> me, even kmail which I just tried.

Unbelievable.

Yes, sure enough, apparently you *must* log out of KDE, log in with Gnome and
set the "mailto: default in Gnome's "set what programs to use" application
(in Preferences->More Preferences). Once I did that (set it to 'kmail %s')
and logged back into KDE, Firefox now uses KMail, as I wanted, when I click
mailto: links.

Now someone tell me, is this not a silly situation?

Clearly the idea to use a "user preference" for helper apps is a good one, but
assuming that the user is using Gnome is not. Or, if the problem is that
Gnome and KDE are storing this information differently, then they need to get
together on this issue -- or at least mention it! (Googling did me no good on
this.)

So, to summarize for others who are irritated by this:

If you use Firefox and KDE and you want to use KDE for mailto: links, you must
log into Gnome, open Preferences->More Preferences and click the
"Associations and Programs" (I think that's what it was called) icon. The
last item in my list was 'mailto:' and it needs to be double-clicked and set
to 'kmail %s' (if you want to use KMail).

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com