Custom Kernels

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 6 15:56:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 11:04, Mark Haney wrote:
> > Simply jumping in and frobbing the knobs is generally not good
> > practice.  In most cases it will adversely affect your systems
> > performance instead of improving it.
> >
> Can you say 'frobbing the knobs' in a public forum?

I knew I had seen a definition of this somewhere.  Enjoy!

frobbing
verb. Randomly adjusting the settings of an object, such as the dials on
a piece of equipment or the options in a software program, in an effort
to learn how the object works.

Example Citation:
"Why is babbling so important? The infant is like a person who has been
given a complicated piece of audio equipment bristling with unlabeled
knobs and switches but missing the instruction manual. In such
situations people resort to what hackers call frobbing—fiddling
aimlessly with the controls to see what happens."
—Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"I think trash is the most important manifestation of culture we have in my
lifetime."
- Johnny Legend