network card : device not present

Kevin MacNeil k.macneil at verizon.net
Wed Oct 6 16:22:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:55:12AM -0400, ne... wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2004 at 11:29, Robert Locke in a soothing rage wrote:
>
> >On my FC2, I do not see a driver named rtl8139, but rather a driver
> >named 8139too.ko...
> Thanks for the correction. I apperently had the wrong module name.
>
> >So I think the OP will need to modify his /etc/modprobe.conf to read
> >"alias eth0 8139too" to solve the problem....
> This is of course correct.

IIRC there were both an rtl8139 driver written by Donald Becker and an
8139too driver by Jeff Garzik in the kernel, both of which worked for
Realtek 8139-based cards. Apparently the rtl8139 driver has been
deprecated in favor of the newer 8139too driver. I do not know if the
newer driver is any better, or why it was added in the first place.
Donald Becker wrote many of the early ethernet drivers for linux, many
of which are still in the kernel.