Samba general question

cajun cajunlee at alltel.net
Thu Oct 7 12:36:11 UTC 2004

Bob Chiodini wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 23:13, Gordon Charrick wrote:
>

>>I've been trying to share my printer that is connected to my linux
>>computer to my bf's windows xp machine. The two computers are connected
>>(by wireless) to a linksys router so they're on the same subnet. There
>>isn't a chance the router could be blocking the connection, is there?
>>The wireless is running on eth1 and I can ping from one machine to the
>>other.
>>
>>I also have vmware running on my linux machine so I can do tests
>>locally. When I run "net view \\gmc" on my vmware guest I get a list of
>>shares and can connect to the printer and see the files in the
>>"testshare" share. If I run the same comand on my bf's computer I get
>>access denied. It's not firewall related because I'm testing it with no
>>rules set.
>>
>>I'm including my smb.conf below.
>>
>>[global]
>>         workgroup = HOME
>>         interfaces = eth1 vmnet1
>>         bind interfaces only = yes
>>         load printers = yes
>>         printing = cups
>>         printcap name = cups
>>         guest account = smbprint
>>         domain master = no
>>         local master = yes
>>         preferred master = yes
>>         os level = 65
>>[testshare]
>>         comment = test path to tmp
>>         path =/tmp
>>         browseable = yes
>>         guest ok = yes
>>         writable = no
>>[printers]
>>         comment = Linux printer
>>         path = /home/smbprint
>>         browseable = yes
>>         public = yes
>>         guest ok = yes
>>         writable = yes
>>         printable = yes
>>         printer admin = root
>>         use client driver = yes
>>

>Gordon,
>
>Check the permissions on /home/smbprint.  All printer users must be able
>to write/create in that directory.  I also added cups options = raw to
>the printers stanza in smb.conf.
>
>Bob...

Morning Gordon,

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but I found that if
you are using cups, and by the looks of your smb.conf you are, did you
modify the mime.convs and mime.types file in /etc/cups directory.  There
is one line in each file that needs to be uncommented.  They are at the
bottom of each of these files in the Raw section.  When I was sitting up
my RH9 and to get my windows PC's to print to the printer attached to my
server, this is what did it for me.

HTH!!

Lee Perez