TC (Traffic Control) QoS - Q for ISPs

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Oct 7 22:25:51 UTC 2004

This is targetted at ppl in this list that uses linux's TC to provide
QoS solution for bandwidth control for Broadband users.

I talked to one local ISP in my area and they use Packetteer to control
traffic at the exchange before it reaches the customer. According to
him, one reason for using packetteer is not because it's more powerful
or anything, just simpler.

AFAIK, it should be different, packetteer uses/has TCP windowscaling
(IIRC) while there isn't a Linux solution for getting some kind of
dynamic TCP windowshaping to work. (Correct me if I am wrong) The other
question is, normally ISPs will have huge Queue on their Modems/ in this
case Packetteer). How does one go about creating a _queue_ under Linux
using TC? How does one configure that queue? and how can I define how
big that queue is?

ISP ppl, I hope you can answer me and let me know how it is done.

Thanks

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel