X resolution (was no-subject)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 8 04:42:12 UTC 2004

Rafiq_Maniar at Dell.com wrote:
> Louis,
>
> First of all, your driver will have to support changing to that
> resolution. The utility you used will appear to let the resolution
> change go through OK when in reality it doesnt, if the driver doesn't
>  support it.
>
> The quickest way to make sure the configuration gets changed is to
> manually edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. If you're using anything
> previous to Fedora Core 2, then the file will be called
> /etc/X11/XF86Config.
>
> Under the "Screen" section, there should be Modes listed. Simply
> insert "1024x768" if its not there already and delete the other ones
> you don't want. If X won't start after that, then you know your
> driver doesn't support it ;). You'll probably need a newer or
> proprietary driver if that occurs, unless its a Optiplex GX270 (you
> didn't specify what model Dell machine you had).  If its is a GX270
> then there's a BIOS bug which reports the wrong amount of video
> memory to the OS and it won't get anything except 800x600 resolution.
> If this is the case, update to BIOS version A04 and this will solve
> the problem.
>
> Thanks, Rafiq

That is the model computer that I had trouble with. I thought that this
was stuck at 640x480 before the BIOS upgrade to A04.

Since you have the same model computer. I was wondering if the FC2 newer
  versions of X have reduced a random lockup with certain screensavers.
I moved up to test distros on this computer and do not have the random
crashing as with FC2 before the CVS xorg-x11 releases.
Since the radeon 7000 problem surfaced with the upgrades, I was
wondering if some of the CVS changes were backported to the latest
server upgrade.

Jim