Any Database package avaliable for Linux

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 8 19:04:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 04:37:15PM +0300, Andrey Andreev wrote:
> kaya ong wrote:
> >Any1 know of any database package avaliable for linux
> >... to be installed in desktop...
> >Jus experimenting .... think its interesting to have 1
> Mysql and PostgreSQL are great free database systems available for Linux.
>
> Furthermore, all the database systems I can think of can run on linux
> too (with the obvious exception of Microsoft SQL Server, and a few
> "semiprofessional" things like FileMaker and Access)

Yep and if you want to play harder db2, and Oracle can be had as well.

At various times both IBM and Oracle have made free versions avaiable
for the asking or free download so do some looking.  You may need to
register so establish an alternate email address in advance for such
things (most ISP make it easy). An alternate mail address can make it
easy to sort your mail.  Reputable companies make it easy to
unsubscribe or change your profile.  Procmail is your friend.

But to start stick with MySQL and postgresql.
    # rpm -qa | egrep "postgres|mysql"
    postgresql-pl-7.4.2-1
    postgresql-server-7.4.2-1
    postgresql-contrib-7.4.2-1