Is there a Womens user group in Fedora (as in KDE) ? (was FC2 does not save settings(

Gerald Thompson geraldt at telus.net
Sat Oct 9 02:05:17 UTC 2004

Jon Savage wrote:

>Yes and no. There are distinct gender specific differences that impact
>both how we communicate & how we learn. I'm not aware of a fedora
>specific woman's group but there is a virtual LUG-
>http://www.linuxchix.org/ (quoted from their web page):
>"LinuxChix is a community for women who like Linux, and for supporting
>women in computing. The membership ranges from novices to experienced
>users, and includes professional and amateur programmers, system
>administrators and technical writers."
>
>There's also a HOWTO that is all about "how to encourage women in
>linux" on TDLP-
>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/
>
>That is an interesting read, the fact that there's an actual HOWTO on
>this subject implies that there is at least a perceived need to be
>more inclusive (dare I say embrace) of women in  the linux community.
>
>Bests
>
>Jon

Jon is right actually, the reason women get scared away from Linux and
tech so much is because a large number of the guys act and post in such
an arrogant and demeaning manner that they end up turning women off from
participating.

Its the same for inexperienced users too, not just women, some of the
Linux and technical community act extremely arrogant and we end up
pushing away the very people we are trying to convince to join our
community.

I actually read that Encourage-Women-Linux-Howto several months ago, I
have to admit I am personally guilty of doing a few of the bad habits
listed in that document.

I hope Kali and any other women posters to the group don't feel they
have to split off and form a womens-fedora-list, I for one think that
their input is important and it would be a shame to lose it.

Sincerely,
Gerald