Looking for backup software of complete system

Edwin Dicker edwin at dicker.nl
Sat Oct 9 15:47:50 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Lim
To: Fedora List
Sent: Saturday, 09 October, 2004 16:46
Subject: Looking for backup software of complete system

Hi there,
Could anyone recommend a backup software that would back up the whole
system, what I am looking for is much like Ghost for Linux but the system
has to keep running.
I am not worried about log files, this is the case where if the machine
fails then we are down for the period of time it takes to either build a new
OS disk and reinstall all of the custom programs and their numerous quirks
or grab the latest restore from the back media and just 'clone' a new disk
with all the programs setup.

What I have tried in the past is to clone the harddisk using the harddisk
upgrade howto method, but that involves taking the machine completely
offline, also cutting an image with Ghost means taking the machine offline.

Thanks.

I always use cpio.
On my live system i run a cpio backup to tape and exclude files in  /proc
and /sys.
When I need to restore I only have to boot a linux rescue cd, partition the
'new' disk and create filesystems on it , mount the partitions and start the
cpio restore.
After restoring I install grub again and voila......boot the system and
you're back in business

Edwin