Looking for backup software of complete system

Mike Noble mgnoble at cox.net
Sat Oct 9 19:09:46 UTC 2004

Randy Kelsoe wrote:
> Mike Noble wrote:
>
>> Depending on the file system that you have(ext2,ext3....)
>> I would recommend dump or cpio. If you have a tape drive
>> attached (lets say /dev/st0) you can use the following
>> dump command:
>>
>> dump 0uf /dev/st0 /
>>
>> This will dump the entire contents of the / file system
>> to the tape drive.
>> You can then restore from tape with the command restore.
>

> So, has dump been fixed? Last I heard (and it was a while ago), Linus
> said if you used dump, you WOULD have data corruption.

I just used dump to move the OS from one partition to another
one and it worked just fine.  Now I will say that this was
done with Mandrake Linux dump, but dump should be the same
for either Mandrake, Fedora, debian....).

Mike
--
Usenix member  http://www.usenix.org
Sage member    http://www.sage.org