xorg.conf messed up-fixed sort of.

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Oct 10 13:31:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 03:47:50AM -0500, Charles Swarts wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 09:38:14 +0200, Axel Thimm <axel.thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 12:23:02AM -0700, Myron Slover wrote:
> > > I am using kernal 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 . I installed the driver and the
> > > kernal module using ATRPM rpms. Any ideas there?
> >
> > These rpms create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia file that is supposed
> > to replace your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (after inspection).
> >
> > That's a safety precaution in case non-nvidia users do install the
> > wron rpm and cannot get their X running again.
> >
> > Check also rpm -qi nvidia-graphics6111.
> I've also had better luck downloading the binary straight from nvidia
> and using it.  There isntructions are pretty good so its not
> difficult.  I know a lot of people use the rpms, but in my personal
> experience I've had problems when I've tried them.

If there are issues with the rpms, please report them (currently no
known issues): http://bugzilla.atrpms.net/

There are quite some benefits using the rpms over hand installed
drivers (just like for evey other software, too), most prominently you
can cleanup/upgrade your system quite easily, don't destroy Mesa libs,
and can have multiple drivers installed simultaneously, switching the
drivers "on the fly" w/o rebooting (OK, you need to exit X first ;).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net