Dovecot issue

Phillip T. George me at PhillipGeorge.com
Mon Oct 11 02:47:02 UTC 2004

Robert Trembath wrote:

> Thanks Phillip,
>

> The server is setup as a single domain setup. We use username only to
> authenticate. It's a standard sendmail setup and new mail is coming
> in. If I use Outlook to test the account everything works, but Outlook
> fails to see or pickup the new messages.
>

> Robert

Robert,

Are they using IMAP or POP3?  Outlook is NOT reporting any error
messages when you try to download, correct?  I think someone suggested
this, but check the log files to see what information you can extract.
Also, be sure that their username is the same exact case as entered into
the system...should hopefully be all lower case.  I've seen a bug once
(can't remember what system it was exactly), where it would properly
authenticate, but report 0 messages, UNLESS you matched the username to
the same case (and no, it wasn't a windows setup...it was linux-based).
I guess this probably isn't the case, since you said it HAD been
workng...but it doesn't hurt to try.  I believe I also had an issue with
a webmail client doing the same thing...  If you added caps to the
username, it would authenticate for almost everything properly,
including the IMAP setup, and the mail would be shown, BUT the SMTP
would not accept the mail with that authentication information.

-Phillip