Fedora Core 3 test 2 performance [SOLVED!]

Glen Staufer alaxsxaq at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 14:05:26 UTC 2004

Well, I went back and did some more testing with various hdparm
settings and finally came up with someothing that provides acceptable
performance.

System: Dell Precision M50
HD: IBM Travelstar 60GB 5400RPM

This hdparm line gives me over 21 MB/sec read performance:

hdparm -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 -X66 -B255 /dev/hda

The big difference in performance came when I used -B255 to turn off
APM features for this drive.  I need to do some more research about
this option and whether there might be something in the Redhat config
that affects performance so dramatically when disk APM features are
turned on.

Glenn