Local FC mirror

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Oct 12 07:38:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 07:17, Håkan Persson wrote:
> How can I easily set up a local Fedora Core mirror, i.e.,
> synchronize a local ftp/http server with the official archives?
> I have several machines running FC and I want to save bandwidth when
> doing up2date.
> I know how to configure up2date to look in the local repository but I don't know how to eailsy keep that in sync with the official archives.

The most efficient way is probably to find a Fedora mirror that supports
rsync access and use rsync to keep a copy of the directories you're
interested in.

I do it the old-fashioned way, using the program "mirror", which is
designed for keeping a copy of (part of) a remote ftp site using only
the ftp protocol. Mirror isn't really maintained any more but it does
the job. Homepage is at
ftp://sunsite.org.uk/old-sunsite/mirror/index.html and I have an RPM
available at:
http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/sysutils/Mirroring/mirror-2.9-13.noarch.rpm

I set up mirror to keep a local copy of the FC2 updates directory (this
includes the yum headers) and run the mirror job using cron every night.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>