Netboot: kernel panic no init found

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Oct 13 14:11:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 10:37:56PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> C. Linus Hicks wrote:
>

> >I would make sure your command line doesn't have "quiet" on it, then you
> >will have to suspend output shortly after it starts booting. Use Ctrl-S
> >and Ctrl-Q to stop and start console output. Then you can use shift page
> >up and shift page down to scroll backwards and forwards.
>
> None of the above key combinations do anything - the screen scrolls by
> and won't pause or scroll up. Looking for a line starting with "Kernel"
> as it scrolls past: couldn't see any.
>
> I have managed to confirm that the command line specified is being read,
> because if I purposefully put bogus entries in the command line, the
> kernel stops booting with a corresponding error message.
>
> What I still haven't figured out is why the kernel refuses to read it's
> init parameter from the initrd. The line "init=disklessrc" is included
> as a command line option, and the file "disklessrc" exists, yet the
> kernel still refuses point blank to acknowledge this.
>
> Unfortunately the kernel doesn't tell you the name of the init file it
> is trying to bootstrap, so it remains a stab in the dark. I have tried
> swapping different kernels, I've tried using different client machines -
> no go no matter what I do.
>
> Has anybody gotten diskless booting to work ever? If so, was there
> something special you needed to do to make it work?
>
> Regards,
> Graham
> --
I have traced all such kernel panic errors to errors on the grub line
being read. Does the kernel version conform to the initrd version. Is
the root indicated really the root partition with the right name (or
label) in the fstab file. Do you have an /initrd directory on the
machine. etc, etc. and so forth.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University