Why would my server be swapping...

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Oct 14 23:58:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 04:27:41PM +0200, Wouter van Vliet wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:10:13 +0100, Douglas Furlong
> <douglas.furlong at firebox.com> wrote:

> > > uname -a gives:
> > >
> > > Linux ********* 2.6.6-1.435.2.3smp #1 SMP Thu Jul 1 08:36:21 EDT 2004
> > > i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> > >
> > > Now, what does that tell you about my swapping concerns?
> >
> > Absolutely nothing what so ever, but I never told you that I could fix
> > your swapping problem, I was just telling you how to find out your
> > kernel version.
> >

> hehe, well I wasn't referring to only you, Douglas but everybody whow
> as waiting for the output of uname. And i do appriciate the
> information you gave me. Though I've been running around in Linux
> World for a while now, I haven't found the time to get myself a lot
> further than just using it as a webserver.
>
> Anyway, you happen to know a command that like really tells me what
> processes are consuming memory? I know top, but no matter how close I
> look I cannot find all of the memory used in it's output.

Perhaps you can open a huge GUI window, set it to a very small font and run
TOP in that window and see more of the current processes. I doubt you can
get a window big enough to see 'em all. Also, type "f" into top to see
a list of other options you can use. you can, for example, type "fo"
to have an additional column for swap usage of each process shown.

                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.