emacs encoding vs FC2

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Oct 15 02:25:41 UTC 2004

Ian Malone wrote:
> $emacs Kölsch&
> In gnome-terminal (or xterm) will visit the file 'Kölsch',
> regardless of whether 'Kölsch' exists

I believe this is a bug in Emacs 21.3 and fixed in upstream cvs.
It is already in our bugzilla too.

> The second problem is pasting from other applications, notably the
> gucharmap.  Here most Latin characters seem to work alright,
> but accented Greek characters like alpha-tonos (U+03AC) do not.

I think this is probably also an Emacs: may be better in cvs emacs too.

> Would the above work on XEmacs,

Probably not the latter, not sure for the former - please try. :)

> and would I have to get rid of GNU Emacs to
> install it?  (Add/remove applications isn't allowing me to select
> XEmacs or de-select Emacs, and before I go to the command line I
> wonder whether there's a rational explanation)

Nope, you can install both.  How about:

	up2date -i xemacs

say.

Jens