AGP and Linux

YigalB byigal at zahav.net.il
Fri Oct 15 07:45:51 UTC 2004

Hi

I want to install a GigaByte GeForce FX5200 AGP X8 into my Asus MB
P4S533-MX, to replace the on-board VGA.

I assume that I will need to disable the on-board in the Bios. But I
wonder about the speed of the AGP and the Linux: Will it work from
hardware point if view? And who controls the speed? Is this the OS? And
in that case: can Linux FC2 do it? I assume that the OS read the max
speed of the device from the device driver and also from the MB's slot
driver and use the minimum speed to make it work - but I want to verify
that before I buy the card.

Thanks

Yigal