usb stick as swap partition

Kai Leibrandt k_leibrandt at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 15 10:52:21 UTC 2004

One more thing to keep in mind is that flash memory has a limited lifetime -
limited by the number of cycles (writes actually), and when you swap, you
put _lots_ of cycles through your usb stick. I doubt btw. that swapping to
your usb stick will be any faster than wapping to your hd. Your hd should be
multiple time faster, even with random access patterns... esp. if it's a usb
1.1 device!

Can only advise _not_ to swap to usb stick.

Kai.