merits of portknocking (was: More SSH 'trolling')

Lew Bloch conrad at lewscanon.com
Fri Oct 15 12:48:54 UTC 2004

The more I hear here and read elsewhere, the more I moderate my position
- I do see usefulness in it, but I still don't plan to use it.

I agree that "security through obscurity" is a useful, if small, part of
"security in depth".

In my case I don't choose to use portknocking, but now that I've
researched more about it, including rebuttals to some of the criticisms,
I've come to appreciate it better.  I might use it under the right
circumstances.