FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Fri Oct 15 18:03:49 UTC 2004

On Oct 15, 2004 at 11:51, Ken Johanson in a soothing rage wrote:
[...]

>Well, if I am to believe others' (including Linus) claims about Redhat
>(and I am), then the reasons for not including the source with the
>installers are *at least* highly suspect - or a just a forgone
>conclusion - that there's a purposeful dumbing-down (weakening) or
>discouraging of the kernel open-ness and availability to power users, or
>perhaps discrepancies between the (open vs obfuscated) source, binaries,
>and dependencies). And interoperability is also suspect with Redhat.
>
>Not including the source to the *kernel itself* is a really, really
>slippery slope.
And now for the most controversial view...

The kernel is only package I know off in the distribution that had
it's source included in the binary isos and the source isos. This
has now being rectified. All source can now be found in the source
isos. Some bloat has being removed from the binary isos. Now if only
we can get $MOST_HATED_RPM dropped from the distribution.

N.Emile...
Sweater, n.:
	A garment worn by a child when its mother feels chilly.
14:00:07  up 109 days,  7:14,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00