FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Ken Johanson fedora at kensystem.com
Fri Oct 15 18:33:30 UTC 2004

Thanks, ... ne..

This may be the first defensive reason for not including it that I've
heard, I think. :-)

So now I'll re-chew what I'm sure other lists have already debated (why?
because it matters):

1) Isn't it imperative - mission critical -- that kernel source be
prominently included on the install discs, *since* kernel and modules
compilations account for compilations far *far more* than any other one
project? No other item's source is more likely to be needed on *every*
users system, even by a longshot!!! What if I need to upgrade to SMP -
should I download kernel*.rpm or 4*SRC.ISOs from redhat?? I'd be better
to use kernel.org (but risk destabilizing a working system due to
versioning/dependencies/redhat-isms), or to have the source already
there. Need a scsi module or raid support in the image? Grab from
redhat? Thats ludicrous, sorry to say. No prebuilt kernel will ever
match a power users needs, so the orig source should be prominently
included.

So my best options are(?):

	a) download from kernel.org (risk destabilize/versioning issues)
	b) search redhat for a prebuilt kernel that meets my specific needs
	c) search redhat for same-version kernel-source rpm, download.
	d) download 4 SRC ISOs to get guaranteed original build source rpm.

c) seems like the best option to me but is far from convenient.

2) I think I see enough room on the install discs to include the kernel
rpm... so why not?

Marching on.. :-)

ken