start-stop-daemon not found

Edwin Dicker edwin at dicker.nl
Fri Oct 15 20:08:30 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Vian" <jvian10 at charter.net>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, 15 October, 2004 22:00
Subject: Re: start-stop-daemon not found

>> The script errors with complaining it cant find start-stop-daemon.
>> I have been looking around but I 'm not able to find it, except for a
>> source C file in /usr/share/doc/SysVinit-2.85/start-stop-daemon.c. it
>> comes out of the SysVinit-2.85 package.
>>
>> I'm trying to compile this file with gcc -o start-stop-daemon
>> start-stop-daemon.c , again with many errors.
>>

> This is not a C program code file.
>
> Did you read the file INSTALL and related files in the iptables
> directory created when you extracted the tarball?
>
> The referenced iptables/doc/faq.html gives very clear installation
> instructions, and I did not find anywhere it said to run make.
>
> Don't compile, just follow the configure/install instructions.
>
>> Should there be a start-stop-daemon file somewhere on the system ?? In
>> which Package ?
>> I believe that such a file exists on Debian. But what about FC2 ?

The mentioned file : /usr/share/doc/SysVinit-2.85/start-stop-daemon.c
is definetely C program source. it comes from the SysV-2.85 package.

Alexander Dalloz has helped me already by pointing out that fedora does not
use start-stop-daemon but i should look for adapting the script that calls
start-stop-daemon to change this to daemon with its correct options.

cheers
Edwin