DHCP question

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Oct 15 22:51:28 UTC 2004

Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> which can be placed in the config file for each client machine after
> which the daemon can be started, right?

Right.

> Well, I am wondering how can client configurations be added/removed
> dynamically while the daemon is running and without causing a problem
> when many clients are involved.

First of all dhcp leases are not dependent upon maintaining a session
with a dhcp server.  The process of acquiring a lease, and later
renewing it is a simple brief exchange between the client and server.
And a client will attempt renewal several times before the lease
expires, so a momentary failure should not cause the loss of a lease.

Because of this restarting a dhcp server is unlikely to impact anyone
unless it serves a large number of clients with very short lease times.

By using the command:
 service dhcpd restart
to restart the daemon it will include testing the configuration first,
and not stopping and restarting unless the configuration is error free.
This prevents a lengthier outage while you figure out your editing mistake.

Chris