Anyone using network profiles?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Oct 17 13:13:28 UTC 2004

Markus Huber wrote:

>> In any case, my question was:
>> Is anyone actually using the Network Device Control tool
>> found in Start=>System Tools.
>
> Yes. On two boxes. On one for pppoe, and on the other one for LAN.
>
> Is this a survey?

No, it's just that I cannot get it to work properly on my machine,
and it seemed from a question I sent that very few people are using it,
even though it appears on the face of it an ideal tool
if one wants to use a laptop in different locations.

But if you (or anybody else) are using it,
I would be very grateful if you could tell me
what Profiles and Logical Devices you use.

Also, do you have to run "service network restart" or equivalent
when booting?

My setup is as follows:
I have 2 Profiles, for home (Common) and college (TCD)
I have 2 logical devices, both attached to the physical device eth0,
which is a WiFi PCMCIA card.
I call the devices eth0_home and eth0_college.

So I want to turn off eth0_college in the Common profile,
and I want to turn off eth0_home in the TCD profile.

For some reason, when I turn eth0_home off or on in one profile
it is also turned off or on in the other.
But I have no problem turning eth0_college off or on.

I take it the reason for this is that eth0_home
is the logical device that was already present,
while eth0_college is a copy.
So is one required to use only copies of logical devices in profiles?
The documentation does not seem to suggest this.

Also, as I said, I have to restart the network now whenever I reboot,
even though I stated that I wanted the Common profile to be activated
when booting.
(My suspicion is that the ifcfg_eth0 file is copied
to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
after the point where the device would be activated.
But that is only an uneducated guess.)

People have suggested I contact the Fedora-test list,
but I don't think this is really an issue with the test distributions.
It is probably a misunderstanding on my part of how to set profiles up..

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366