anybody using nedit?

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Mon Oct 18 20:05:34 UTC 2004

Marius Andreiana wrote:
> Does anybody use nedit in fedora? Maybe this can be moved to extras.
>
> The command line to start it is "nc", same as nc for netcat and almost
> same as mc for midnight commander.

I use it all the time.  I haven't found anything else that is as light-
weight (no KDE or Gnome overhead), intuitive (straightforward menus),
and functional (decent syntax highlighting, good translation between
user-defined and hardware tabs).

It lacks the anti-aliased fonts of more modern editors, but a well
designed bitmap font is arguably better for a text editor anyway.

My only real complaint is the lack of UTF-8 support.  It wasn't such a
problem until I married a Peruvian.

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net