iptables problem...

Linn Kubler lkubler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 15:55:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:46:54 +0200, Michael Schwendt
<fedora at wir-sind-cool.org> wrote:

> > > Just curious, what do /sbin/lsmod and "rpm -q kernel" return?
> >
> > Here ya go I redirected the output of both commands to the attached file.
>
> No netfilter/iptables modules loaded at all, and for some reason,
> they are not loaded automatically either. What do you get for..?
>
>   rpm -V iptables kernel modutils
>
> Your kernel is not the latest, btw.
>
> > modprobe: FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.
>
> Very bad. Could be that your installed kernel packages is corrupted
> and you're missing modules. Above command should detect that.

When I run the rpm verify I get no messages, it just runs for a bit
and then I get a new prompt.  I'm assuming this is good at least no
errors.  But then running the "service iptables restart" command gives
the same error as before.

Keep in mind that this is running on a Virtual PC and that I had to
download and install an update to make it work in the first place.
Here are the directions I followed maybe there is something in the
update file that's causing this?
http://vpc.visualwin.com/Notes/FedoraCore.2.html

Thanks again,
Linn