free space advice.

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 19 17:30:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 13:06, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 06:01:29PM +0100, Colin J Thomson wrote:
> > Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
> > /dev/sda2              14        4868    38997787+  83  Linux
> > /dev/sda3            4869        4998     1044225   82  Linux swap
> > /dev/sda4            4999        9964    39889395   83  Linux
> > NOTE I created sda4 (the free space)  just to get used to using some of the
> > Disk Utils,
> > This is an excact copy (less sda4) of what was on the 40gig drive, So are
> > you saying I could use parted to resize sda2 if I deleted sda4?
>
> You'll probably have to delete sda3 too (since it's in the middle), but
> that's not a problem, since it's just swap and you can recreate it after
> making the larger partition.
>
> However, I have an alternate suggestion. It's useful to have /home on its
> own partition, because that way, you can keep your user data isolated from
> OS data. If you want to switch distributions, or just do an "upgrade" but
> start from scratch to get a clean slate, you can then leave your /home
> partition (and all of your user data) untouched, but completely wipe /. I do
> this all the time, in fact.
>
> (You still may want to change the sizes of things.)

Colin,

Another thing, leave some space in an unused/unmounted partition.
Enough to download an entire distribution.  It's faster to make a small
boot CD (or USB disk) and do a hard disk install, than to install from
CDs.  The partition you do the install from must be different from the
one(s) you are installing to.

Bob...