Enabling VNC

Jeremy Conlin jeremyconlin at mail.weber.edu
Tue Oct 19 22:17:25 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-19 16:32:27 -0400, "Kevin J. Cummings"
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> said:

> Jeremy Conlin wrote:
>> My xstartup looked nearly the same.  I uncommented the exec... line
>> earlier and just now uncommented the unset... line.  After rebooting
>> (and restarting vncserver) and closing the firewall it came up just the
>> way I expected it to.  Now, how can I configure the firewall to accept
>> vnc connections without turning it off?  And how can I get vncserver to
>> start on boot?
>
> What has been discussed so far is how to create a VNC connection to a
> new virtual desktop (thus the :1 in the display name).
>
> I think what you are looking for is how to control your console X11
> desktop from a remote machine.
What I need is to see the GUI desktop of my FC2 machine from a remote
machine.  I would prefer to do this without a client (i.e. using only
X11) if possible; if not I can use a VNC client.

> This can be done with a small change to your X11 config.
>
> In your Section "Module", include the following:
>
> 	# Load the REALVnc module
> 	Load	"vnc"
>
> Then, later on in your Section "Screen", you will need a line like:
>
> 	Option	"passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
Where are these sections?  I have never changed my X11 config.

> This should allow to to  connect to your :0 X11 display and control it via VNC.

Thanks for your help.  Someday I will become proficient at Linux (I hope).

Jeremy