Kernel upgrade and yum managed nforce network drivers

Nick Pierpoint mail at pierpoint.org
Wed Oct 20 11:07:28 UTC 2004

Hello all.

I have an onboard network port on my athlon and use the nvidia nforce
drivers to handle network connections.

I download the drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/linux and manually
compile them against my current kernel.

This is a pain so I tend to exclude kernel updates from my standard yum
updates which probably isn't a brilliant idea.

Can I just "make this work" using yum?

I've noticed kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.8-1.521 on the livna yum
repository and some detail on fedoraforum but am a bit nervous about
getting going down this road.

How does the process work?

If I go ahead and allow kernel updates in my standard yum update script
will this nvidia module keep my network card (and me) happy?

Thanks for any help.

--
nick