patching fc2 kernal with latest mount.cifs

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Oct 21 19:07:49 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 21.10.2004 schrieb Brian Krusic um 20:15:

First of all, you should avoid replying to foreign list postings while
you want to start a new topic. Your mail appears now as part of the
thread "Authentication and group/username resolving problem".

> I'm new to patching kernals, in fact I havn't done it before other than
> using make menuconfig on a base installed kernal.

I must say that I don't really understand what you want to achieve.

> I updated to v2.6.8.521 and was woundering what I need to get so that I can
> patch this kernal?

The latest FC2 kernel is 2.6.8-1.521.

> I got the src rpm but I didn't see that v of kernal in /usr/src dir (only
> dirs linux-2.6.5-1.358 and redhat were there).

Then you have only the initial FC2 kernel's source installed and not the
current one's.

yum update kernel-sourcecode

> Would any one mind helping as I feel this will be something that I will do a
> lot in the near future.

And what do you want to do if you have the proper kernel source tree on
your drive? mount.cifs is a binary coming with samba-client-3.0.7-2.FC2.
And the kernel module cifs.ko is coming with the FC2 kernel too. What do
you want to patch?

> -aurf

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 20:58:43 up 1 day, 17:38, load average: 1.81, 1.71, 1.53