Enabling VNC

Jeremy Conlin jeremyconlin at mail.weber.edu
Thu Oct 21 19:08:55 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-20 15:27:23 -0400, "Kevin J. Cummings"
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> said:

> You need to put a password in your password file.  Look at the
> vncpasswd command in order to do this.  Make sure you do this as "root"
> so that it writes it to the correct file.
>
> After that, you should only need to restart the X server.  You need to
> make sure that it shuts down entirely, then restart it.  "telinit 3"
> should be useful if you're running at init level 5.  Then make sure
> with "killall X" as root after you login to one of your consoles.  Then
> "telinit 5" should restart X for you....

Well, I ended up rebooting the machine and didn't need to restart the X
server.  I can log into the machine via ssh with X11 forwarding and
then issue

vncviewer localhost:1

and it asks for the password and starts to export the desktop, but it
fails.  I see the Fedora splash screen and then there is a window
displaying an error message about some Gnome manager that isn't
working.  The screen turns black and I can't do anything.  If I log out
of ssh and then back in and do vncviewer...  then I just get a black
screen after entering my password.  Is there something else I need to
do?

Thanks again,
Jeremy