[OT a little] Web page deconstruction

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Fri Oct 22 02:14:27 UTC 2004

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>     No politics, no nettiquitte- but a little off topic. I can't seem to
> find a resource around here. :(
>
>     There's this web page:
>
> http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.scan?s=TVD[T.T_EQ_S]![AS0,20,TV_GT_40000]![TH0_GT_AM1,260,TH]
>
>     It contains a table with information on stocks and I'd like to take
> it, massage it, and eventually put it into a MySQL table elsewhere.
>
>     I have a feeling that there's probably a Perl module that extracts
> it and from there it's just a matter of working out a file format and
> 'slinging' it over to the web server.
>
>     Anyone got an idea for how to extract this data? (Without all the
> error-prone cut-n-paste, etc?)

I use Finance::Quote to extract all that data in my Perl scripts, which
I got using CPAN.

If you aren't familiar with CPAN, we can help you get it set up, install
the module, and get a sample script that uses that module, that you can
hack at.

If it's too far OT, just drop me a note off-list.

Hope this helps,
Clint