How reliable are glxgears statistics? My FPS increased from 650 to 1100 by using Option "EnablePageFlip" "true" in xorg.conf!!!

Greg Wildman rhlist at itns.co.za
Sat Oct 23 06:49:08 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 12:05 +0100, VJ wrote:
> Hi,
>     I used to get 650FPS with glxgears before I added this option (at the
> end ofthis mail ) to my xorg.conf. Now I get 1100FPS. Is it true that this
> option increased the FPS of my card? I am using "ATI Rage 128 Pro" as video
> card. Is glxgears reliable for such tests?
>
> Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"

Thanks for the tip. I have an ATI Radeon 9200 and I am running the
standard Xorg driver on FC2.

My FPS was around 450 with the cog's turning very very slowly. If I put
a terminal window over the glxgears windows then it shot up to 4500 FPS.
Not that that helps much. :-)

I put in the setting you suggested and bingo, my FPS is now at 650. The
desktop also got a lot quicker, especially switching between virtual
desktops.

--

They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards you hear satanic messages.
That's nothing, if you play it forwards it installs Windows.