Mistake installing programs? -Beginner-

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Sun Oct 24 00:46:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 07:55, Charles A. Crayne wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:14:27 -0500
> Steven Stern <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com> wrote:
>
> :Typically, a tar.gz download extracts into a directory from which you do a
> :"make" followed by a "make install".  The latter puts the programs into
> :the "right" locations like /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin, etc.
>
> However, what it does NOT do is to enter the newly installed files into the
> RPM database, and therefore, they will not satisfy dependencies for
> programs installed with RPM.

Additionally apps installed from .tar.gz often default to installing
into /usr/local, whereas the rpm-ish installations tend to end up in
/usr. The original poster might hence end up with two copies of the same
app (possibly at different versions). This spells trouble to me...

I'd probably uninstall the ones installed from the .tar.gz through their
"make uninstall" and immediately after re-install the corresponding rpm.
HaJo

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>
http://www.HaJo.Net