Whither XF86Config?

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Sun Oct 24 18:51:35 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 23.10.2004 schrieb K. Richard Pixley um 23:15:
>
>>Could someone please point me to the successor of /etc/X11/XF86Config?
>>I'm going batty without my control key.
>
> What kind of answer do you expect? Don't you think you should be more
> specific what your problem is with which current setup and which
> hardware? Else: 42 ;)

Ok.

Former versions of XF85Config, including those shipping with FC1, RHEL3,
etc, including the xorg.conf in FC2 include the following lines:

# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#	Option	    "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:nocaps"

However, enabling these lines on FC2 gets me an eliminated capslock key
only on the login screen.  Once I've logged in, I'm back to bloody
capslock breakage.

How, in FC2's release of xfree86, do I eliminate the capslock key for
all users logging in on the console via X11, (xdm?  gdm? whatever.).

That is, how do I get rid of the caps lock key now?

--rich