FYI, Malware at Fedora-RedHat.COM ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Oct 24 23:30:07 UTC 2004

FYI, I received an e-mail from the U of Texas at Arlington (see e-mail
header portion in the first post below) that gave me instructions on a
patch.  I haven't tried it, but given the approach, I can only assume
it's some sort of malware.  It's a rather lame attempt too.

At first I thought it just was someone in a LUG messing with me.  I
didn't want to turn this stuff over to Red Hat if it was just an
individual having fun with only me.  But it appears that people on the
OpenBSD list have been getting them too.

I'm sure the trademark in the domain name makes this easy if all other
attempts to shut the site down fail.

Posts to LEAPLIST/NTLUG I made with more details (including the e-mail
header):
 http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/leaplist/2004-October/040716.html
 http://ntlug.org/pipermail/discuss/Week-of-Mon-20041018/022702.html

First confirmation that it is public:
 http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/leaplist/2004-October/040722.html
 http://ntlug.org/pipermail/discuss/Week-of-Mon-20041018/022705.html

Other follow-ups:
 http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/leaplist/2004-October/040717.html
 http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/leaplist/2004-October/040719.html
 http://ntlug.org/pipermail/discuss/Week-of-Mon-20041018/022703.html

The actual site:
 http://www.fedora-redhat.com/

<joke=on>
The conspiracy theory in my mind reminded me that I've been out to
Microsoft's major presence in Dallas (don't ask why ;-), and it is a
bored intern/phone support guru at Microsoft who's sick of getting calls
regarding "Microsoft Security" e-mails.  So he decided to come up with
one for Red Hat."
</joke>

Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith at ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community
 have rights. ... That idea of community rights is firmly rooted
 in the 'Communist Manifesto.'" -- Michael Badnarik