how to share internet connection--beginner

YigalB byigal at zahav.net.il
Mon Oct 25 10:12:29 UTC 2004

>my system is fedora core 2 and my internet connection is adsl through
>a alcatel speedtouch usb modem.i want to share the internet connection
>so that another computer(MS WindowsXP) in the NETWORK can surf as
>well.what shall i do?
[<Yigal>] You can add another Network card to that system and split it
trough switch to the other computers. This solution requires that your
system has to be powered on and to act as a server to the others. You
also need to buy a switch (if you have more than 2 computers) and a
network card.

The best option is to buy a router which will be connected to the ADSL
modem and the outputs will go to your network computers. You can have
low-cost routers with 4 or 8 ports so it's enough for most systems.
In that case there is no need to keep any PC up all the time. The router
does the job.
But the problem is that you have USB modem - I don't know if you can
find routers that have USB connector on the modem side...
I would try to replace the modem to a network one and use the router
option.