Fedora For Kids

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Mon Oct 25 15:43:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 11:13 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 11:01, Robin Laing wrote:
> > Christof Damian wrote:
> > > Is anyone working on a "Fedora For Kids" ? I know there is a project
> > > like this for debian (Debian Junior
> > > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr/index )
>

> > My 2 (almost 3) loves playing some games.  Set up his own account.
> Each of my 4 kids has their own machine with their own accounts.  I use
> squid and iptables to lock them to specific sites they can visit.  They
> pretty much have to ask permission to get a new one bookmarked and
> allowed.  My 5 year old has no trouble getting to the games and web
> stuff because the icons on FC2 are pretty large to begin with (and are
> huge on a 21-inch flat screen.)  My 8 year old does all her work in OOo
> and knows how to save in Word format to take to school.  My 10 year old
> does that same, but has access to more sites and is able to make certain
> changes to her desktop, etc.  She even has her own GPG key for email and
> such.  My 13 (almost 14 year old) loves Fedora and nearly failed a
> computer skills test at her Junior High School because she doesn't know
> Windows that well.  I personally don't see any need to try to customize
> Fedora for kids.  Besides, if they know it now, they won't be too
> bothered by it later.

Same here: For kids ages 16, 10 6 and 3. Currently testing out FC3T3.

All have their own accounts (except for the youngest). All are using
Firefox equipped with Flash Plugin and play their favorite games at
Cartoonnetwork.com, Disney's sites and Nickelodeon.com. Local games like
Tux Racer are big-time hits for them.

The oldest two regularly use OOo for homework papers, as well as a
variety of the other tools.

TuxPaint is also popular with the youngest two. Great on FC2, but not
installed on FC3T3. Newbreed Software (http://www.newbreedsoftware.com)
just released an update by the way. Downloading that now to check out.

..and yes, I can say with confidence that, thanks to FC2/3, Linux on the
desktop has become simple enough that a 3-year-old can use many basic
features. He has a great time! My 6-year-old is quite proficient as a
user too.

Cheers,

Chris

--