OT Why is everyone so grouchy?

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 16:37:28 UTC 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:01:25 -0500, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to extend this thread, but however off topic, this needs dealing
> with.  Name calling and making general and unfounded (or at least
> unsupported) accusations is hardly the way to argue a point.  If you
> have specific evidence that supports your claim, please present it.  I
> am particularly puzzled as to how you came to this conclusion.  Linux
> is alive and well, and gaining popularity every day, from what I can
> tell.  How you suppose the current administration to eradicate Free
> software in the US in another term is beyond me.
> Jonathan
>

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:37:28 -0700, Z <zleite at mminternet.com> wrote:
> > Not to mention that the situation is really serious now. The damage the
> > Shrub "administration" did is already bad enough.
> > Another term might bring the end of Free software, including Linux, as
> > we know it, in the US. It is very relevant to this list, in that regard.

> --

I couldn't have said it any more eloquently myself.  I was wondering
the same thing.
And though this topic might've started in flames, let's actually
redirect the caloric expenditure and point it to something relevant,
shall we?  Is there any truth to the suppossition that W is ssh'ing
into people's servers and taking them down?   :)  ha ha

Seriously, if you look at the software patent issues in Europe, I
think it is a really BIG deal- and one that is very relevant to this
list by the way.  I don't know the latest news for the U.S.  I also
assume that everything is great here -- Linux seems to be growing by
leaps and bounds.  [If someone needs to onlist/offlist correct me on
my naivete', I am all ears...]

[As an aside, I recently found an interesting site for IT stats by the
way:  http://www.itfacts.biz/index.php?id=P1818     Not sure how
validated/verified though]

Back to the ranch.  I just went to a conference here at UCF in Orlando
(where I am trying to revive a dead LUG). It was basically about how
to get your invention/innovation to find startup capital, etc. They
had the local looyah for trademark/patents/copyright talking about how
'you can use a copyright to prevent competition' etc.  IOW, screw the
competition, the marketplace, and especially the consumer -- just
deploy your proprietary product no matter _how_ bad it really is.  The
most important thing is that you hoarde your cruddy little app and
keep others at bay, no matter how dumb you are, and no matter how
smart the competition is.  Actually, what it really says is, 'you
don't have to be smart to be successful, just devious'... and here's
how to do it....

And with all the talk of a 'High Tech Corridor' between Orlando and
Tampa, the local 'Business Technology Incubator' is trying to recruit
'innovative startups' etc.  In their fine print they only want to deal
with the type of tech company that has 'strategic advantage' over
competition.  In other words, you need the software version of a Trade
Secret -- like the formula for Coca Cola for example --- or else they
don't want to talk to you.  But they are OH, SO INNOVATIVE!   Just ASK
THEM!  :)   Hoo-eee!   LOok out Edison.....maybe they even have a
database or something...or maybe even a website that only looks good
under IE....

What I DO find relevant, is how much under attack the linux world
seems to be sometimes.  Although we are a strong (and strong willed)
bunch, the guys in the white starched shirts with the cellphones on
their hips, seem to be making alliances everywhere.  Sometimes it
seems as if Linux is like the Man Who Knew Too  Much.  Much of the
world doesn't necessarily WANT better software -- they would rather
squelch competition.  The path of least resistance.  Who wants better
code, anyway?  :)

I looked around at this event and I saw these old geezers asking the
looyah questions like' how can I block competition if I have to
publish the code as part of the copyright process' and stuff like
that.  The young guys were looking at each other as if to say, 'what
is this lawyer doing not talking about the GPL? ' or 'what about
linux' etc etc.  It was very depressing to hear so much talk about
basically how to set up a greedy and non-customer driven organization.
  [Then I walked out of the room and immediately saw a construction
worker wearing a redhat (company) hat.  I said, 'hey do you do
software or linux?  and he looked at me like I have two heads...no its
just a hat.....it was a weird day to say the least.]   :)

I take solace in the fact that a better product will win in the
marketplace.  I just can't stand unfair marketplace rules.  But that
is the world we live in.  Thanks for listening.

Cheers
Marc