OT: extracting audio from DVD

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Mon Oct 25 20:46:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 10:18:27PM +0200, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> mplayer -ao pcm -aofile "$file.wav" -channels 2 -vc dummy -vo null dvd://$track

"transcode" is also a good choice, e.g.,

    transcode -i /dev/dvd -x dvd -T $track,-1 -a 0 -y wav -o $file.wav

I've found that the volume on concert DVDs tends to be very low, so if
you intend to burn it to CD, you want to adjust the gain in addition
to resampling the DVD-Audio @ 48KHz down to CD-Audio @ 44.1KHz. These
steps can be done with mplayer or transcode, but I prefer to use "sox
... resample -ql" for the resampling.  (transcode uses the sox code for
resampling, but at a hardwired lower quality setting; that can be fixed
with a simple patch to transcode.)  Adjusting the gain is a bit of an art;
let your ear be your guide; I've used both "sox" and "normalize".

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky