OT: Rejoining video files

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Oct 26 04:32:19 UTC 2004

david walcroft wrote:
> Hi,
>    Can someone tell me how to rejoin .mpeg/.avi/.mov/.wmv type files,
> I have some from a local binaries usenet and to post they split them
> up some are 6 sections and have an .eml added,the majority use M$ to OP.
>  I'm using fc2 and mplayer but know nothing of video.
>
>    Thanks   david

I used to use a simple script called uustrip.  That was 10-15 years ago.
  I haven't found any updated version of it in a while.  It is basically
a wrapper for uudecode to strip out the header info from the various
postings leaving only the uuencoded part which it then sent to uudecode.
  No support for newer encoding methods (xxencode or rar or such).

I also used to use AUB (Assemble Usenet Binaries) which would read files
directly from various NewsGroups via nntp and decode the contents of all
of the fragmented files which were comepletly available....  It was
written entirely in Perl, and did the decoding itself.  It did its best
to find all of the partial files by sorting through the Subject lines
and grouping based the part numbers.  Again, my copy is old enough to
not support other than uuencoded binaries.

I've often wished that some of the (current) Newsreaders had better
support for grouping/saving/decoding split postings.  XRn used to do it
real well 15 years ago....  Mozilla/Thunderbird won't even let you save
multiple postings to a single file!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com