OpenOffice Update RPM vs. Installer (was Re: OpenOffice upgrade fails - bad gpg signature)

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 27 02:18:18 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:

>James Mckenzie wrote:
>

>>Also, if I remember correctly, OO wants to install to /opt/bin and the
>>default for FC2 is /usr/bin or /usr/lib.
>>

>David Cary Hart replied:
>

>>The installer allows you to install to the directory of your choice.
>>

>But it might not be a good idea to install it into /usr/bin or /usr/lib.
>
>The FHS (Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) says:
>    Locally installed software must be placed within /usr/local rather
>    than /usr unless it is being installed to replace or upgrade
>    software in /usr.
>and comments:
>    Software placed in / or /usr may be overwritten by system upgrades
>    (though we recommend that distributions do not overwrite data in
>    /etc under these circumstances). For this reason, local software
>    must not be placed outside of /usr/local without good reason.
>
>However, the discussion under /opt makes it clear that /opt is also an
>acceptable place for software to be installed:
>    Distributions may install software in /opt, but must not modify or
>    delete software installed by the local system administrator without
>    the assent of the local system administrator.
>and, in fact, Fedora and Red Hat don't put anything in /opt by default.
>
>(Of course, the situation is different when installing RPM software:
>since RPM will handle clashes with other RPM packages, RPMs can safely
>put files in /usr/bin or /usr/lib. As far back as I can remember[1], the
>Red Hat rule has been /usr/whatever for RPM files, /usr/local for
>anything else).
>
>James.
>
>[1] which for me was RH 5.0. For example, see the end of
>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-6.1-Manual/ref-guide/ch-sysadmin.html

What is interesting is that OpenOffice on my FC2 installation is in
/usr/lib/ooo-1.1.  I really don't think this complies with FHS, but then
again I may be incorrect.  However, installing OpenOffice in
/opt/local/OpenOffice makes a little more sense as well as installing in
/usr/local.

James McKenzie