Incorporating a small change in inode structure: please help

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 12:52:37 UTC 2004

Kaustubh Ghosh wrote:
>     what I want is to incorporate one extra field of information in the inode
> structure. Can anybody tell me where I will find the definition of inode so
> that I can add the extra field.What will be the other causes of concern, and
> what more functions accessing the inodes will I need to change?
> Thanks in advance.
> I looked under fs  in the kernel source, found inode.c requires some
> updation(If anyone please point out what functions should I change there -it
> would still help me immensely).But what I was unable to find is the inode
> definition.Please help me.

Um.

1. "inode" is pretty closely tied up with the filesystem: many
   filesystems Linux suuports don't have them. You'll have to specify
   the FS you're using.

2. You should really be asking the Linux Kernel Mailing List: that's
   where most of the people who can help you will be found.

3. Modifying on-disk structures and filesystem code is an activity of
   last resort. Think through what you're trying to do, and if there's
   *any* way of doing it in user-space. Consider databases. If you're
   worried about performance, then faster hardware may be a lot cheaper
   than your time.

4. If you must insist, prepare to lose a lot of data.

5. You might find Resier4's plugins match what you're trying to do. (I
   haven't looked at them: they just sound like what you want).

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | realise that you are in a hurry.