Intro to services

Bill Matthews bill.matthews at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 14:23:54 UTC 2004

Hello.  New linux user here.  Downloaded/installed Fedora FC2.  No
problems, I was amazed!

I have a lot of Windows experience, and some Solaris.

I installed the server version of Fedora.  I setup and have working
sendmail, vsftpd, httpd, etc.

But I noticed they dont start at boot.  I start them manually.  From
my solaris days I know I can start them with /etc/rc3.d/Swhatever
start.  I've also learned from this mailing list that I can start them
with the command 'service whatever start'.

But how do I get them to load at boot?  In Solaris, the existance of
the S script in /etc/rc3.d was enough.  But that doesnt seem to do it
here?

thx,
BM