Intro to services

Mark Haney mhaney at interactsys.com
Wed Oct 27 14:32:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 10:23, Bill Matthews wrote:
> Hello.  New linux user here.  Downloaded/installed Fedora FC2.  No
> problems, I was amazed!
>
> I have a lot of Windows experience, and some Solaris.
>
> I installed the server version of Fedora.  I setup and have working
> sendmail, vsftpd, httpd, etc.
>
> But I noticed they dont start at boot.  I start them manually.  From
> my solaris days I know I can start them with /etc/rc3.d/Swhatever
> start.  I've also learned from this mailing list that I can start them
> with the command 'service whatever start'.
>
> But how do I get them to load at boot?  In Solaris, the existance of
> the S script in /etc/rc3.d was enough.  But that doesnt seem to do it
> here?
>
> thx,
> BM
Welcome.  In Fedora you can run from the command line
system-config-services (as root obviously).  Or you can go to 'System
Setting'|'Server Settings'|'Services'.  Then check the service you want
to start automatically and you can also set which services to start or
not based on runlevel.

HTH.

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney at interactsys.com
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) Kernel: 2.6.8-1.521 GNU/Linux