mysql 4.x and fedoracore2

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Oct 27 15:48:17 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> If you were modifying the mysql code and providing a different version
> fine.  But in most cases you are simply using the database program not
> modifying its source code.  Your data structures and code that interacts
> with the database should be unencumbered.  Kind of like saying that
> since you compiled your program using gcc that it now has to be
> published as source code.  I don't think that was the intention of the
> GPL.  And is not the way most people have interpreted it.

Most MySQL apps will be linked against the MySQL libraries. The developers
have made a conscious decision to license the software under the GPL rather
than the LGPL (which would allow 'unencumbered' distribution in the manner you
described), so that's clearly *their* intention. And it's the way the GPL is
intended to work. The GNU readline library is licensed in the same way. If you
use it, you must GPL your code. If you don't want to do that, don't use it.

Paul.