Adding NIC drivers to FC1 install CD?

Mark msalists at gmx.net
Wed Oct 27 19:21:31 UTC 2004

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the help.
I got everything compiled and repacked, but when I boot from the new CD it
complains about missing symbols.

Here is what I did:
Installed regular FC1 from regular FC1 install CD (version 2.4.22-1.2115).
My installation contains the development packages and the kernel source
package.
Using this, I recompile the e1000 driver I downloaded from Intel and
replaced the old e1000.o and added it into /etc/modules.conf
When I reboot, network comes up and runs fine - both under the
single-processor and the smp version of the kernel (for some reason it
defaults to loading smp although it's onlty a single P4)

I took the original boot.iso from the FC1 CD, replaced the e1000.o in
modules.cgz, added the PCI IDs into pcitable and put it all back together
and burnt the new CD.

Booting from the new CD, it tries but fails to load my driver - it complains
about unresolved symbols.

I replaced the original vmlinuz with the vmlinuz I am booting from when I
boot from the HD and burnt another CD, but no luck either.

It is missing the following symbols:
irq_stat
netif_rx
netif_receive_skb