Apache build and SSL problem

Linn Kubler lkubler at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 03:32:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:15:46 +0200, Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> Am Do, den 28.10.2004 schrieb Linn Kubler um 2:44:
>
> > > No, speaking about the Fedora (Core 1 and Core 2) Apache2 RPMs, the SSL
> > > configurations is set not by httpd.conf but
> > >
> > > /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf
> > >
> > > which comes with the mod_ssl RPM.
>
> > Woops, sorry I should have mentioned I'm working with Apache 1.3, got
> > the most current version I could find, 1.3.32.  I don't see a ssl.conf
> > file on my system and looking in httpd.conf I don't see any reference
> > to SSL.
> >
> > Does this mean my installation isn't correct?  What, if I may ask,
> > would a typical httpd.conf file look like with SSL added?
>
> > Linn
>
> Linn,
>
> may I ask you what you want to learn? It seems the book about Apache you
> have does not teach you much. If it guides you to compile your own
> Apache 1.3.xx version, then it should tell you too how to configure it
> properly with all the bells and whistles you wish. From your question(s)
> I conclude that you have more questions than the books answers.
>
> I would suggest you start with the RPMs Fedora ships and go through
> their default configuration files. Speaking about Apache2 I feel you can
> learn a lot by simply reading these config files under /etc/httpd/. In
> addition the Apache online documentation is fairly well.
>
> Alexander

No problem, Alexander, I'm trying learn how Linux, Apache, MySQL and
PHP work together to deliver dynamic web pages.  My ultimate interest
is development of such systems.  I have a little experience with Linux
and Apache from a previous job but I want better depth.  I came
accross this book which is about how those 4 components work together
but clearly it's not in the detail that I require.  It's called
Setting up LAMP by Eric Rosebrock and Eric Filson.

The trouble I'm obviously having is that it takes the reader through
setting up each of these systems in a very generic method.  But
doesn't touch on trouble shooting if things aren't working.  I think
in real life I would stick to the RPM method of installs as much as
possible.  I'm not sure that I need the ability to perform all that
customization but it is nice to see it in action.

I suppose what I could do is install Apache 2 with the RPM's and look
at it's configuration that way, probably wouldn't interfer with my 1.3
version.  Does the RPM install with SSL enabled?

Thanks,
Linn