Sendmail configuration

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Oct 28 11:07:48 UTC 2004

Neil Marjoram wrote:
> I have a small problem with my sendmail config. I am sure I have missed
> something, but I just can't see what.
>
> I currently have a solaris system running sendmail, and that works fine.
> I copied the configs from that system and started up sendmail. The new
> FC2 system happily sends mail to our mail hubs, but when it receives a
> message it just sends it back to the mail hub.

This is usually a case of the system not recognising its own domain name.

> I've done a few tests and found that it will accept and deliver mail to
> a local user and a local mailing list, however if I send a mail to
> any_mail_address at adastral.ucl.ac.uk it just sends it to the mail hub
> (which sends it back and we get in an eternal loop).

So mail generated on your local machine is handled properly, but incoming mail
is forwarded to the hub?

> I have set all my locahost host names in local-host-names.

That's good.

> I have put adastral.ucl.ac.uk in relay-domains

Why? You aren't relaying mail for that domain, you're treating it as local.
You do have adastral.ucl.ac.uk in local-host-names don't you?

> My aliases file is straight from the Sun box so it works ok.
>
> I have set :
>
> MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(adastral.ucl.ac.uk)dnl
> MASQUERADE_AS(`adastral.ucl.ac.uk')dnl
>
> In the sendmail.cf.

I guess you mean sendmail.mc ;-)

> The last thing in my config which is a little strange is the MX records
> for my domain point to the mail hub and not to my server, this is to
> allow all mail from external addresses to pass through a central mail
> hub before being delivered to local mail servers. This does however work
> fine with the Solaris system.

That's fine as long as the mail hub knows to forward mail for your domain to you.

Could you post the entire sendmail.mc?

Paul.